Start or Grow a Business
We are pleased that you have chosen to put down roots and operate a business in Isle of Wight County. The Economic Development Department is here to help you navigate the process to get your business up and running or to help you grow and expand.
Small Business Start-Up Checklist
Choose your legal structure
Create a Business Plan
- SBA’s Business Plan Tool
- SCORE Business Planning & Finance Statements Templates
- Wells Fargo Business Plan Tool
Find Your Space
Check to See if Your Business Needs Additional Licenses
Register For Your State Tax Payer ID Number
BUSINESS LOCATION? To determine whether your business is located within the Town of Smithfield, Town of Windsor, or within Isle of Wight County, please click here.
*This checklist is intended as a general guide only. Actual steps may vary on a case-by-case basis. If you have a specific question for a county department, contact us!
Business Resource Links For New & Existing Businesses:
- Small Business Resource Guide (Aug. 2023)
- Existing Business Outreach Program
- Hampton Roads Small Business Development Center
- Hampton Roads Small Business Portal
- Local Initiatives Support Corp. (LISC – Hampton Roads)
- SCORE Hampton Roads – Business Mentors
- StartWheel – Growing, Guiding and Connecting Entrepreneurs
- Virginia Business One Stop
- Virginia Guide to Business Incentives (Jan. 2023)
- Virginia Dept. of Small Business and Supplier Diversity
- Virginia Small Business Financing Authority
- Selling to Virginia – Virginia’s eProcurement Portal
- Federal, State and Local Business Incentives in Isle of Wight
Local Business Membership Groups:
- Isle of Wight Chamber of Commerce
- Isle Connect – Chamber Young Professional Network
- Business Network International (BNI) – Isle of Wight Chapter
CONTACT US now for assistance.