How to Start a Business
We are pleased that you have chosen to put down roots and operate a business in Isle of Wight County. The Economic Development Department is here to help you navigate the process to get your business up and running or to help you grow and expand.
Small Business Start-Up Checklist
Choose your legal structure
Create a Business Plan
Find Your Space
Check to See if Your Business Needs Additional Licenses
Register For Your State Tax Payer ID Number
BUSINESS LOCATION? To determine whether your business is located within the Town of Smithfield, Town of Windsor, or within Isle of Wight County, please click here.
*This checklist is intended as a general guide only. Actual steps may vary on a case-by-case basis. If you have a specific question for a county department, contact us!
Business Resource Links For New & Existing Businesses:
- Existing Business Outreach Program
- SBA Virginia Resource Guide for Small Businesses
- Link to County Bidder’s List Application (eVA)
- Hampton Roads Small Business Development Center
- Hampton Roads Small Business Portal
- Hampton Roads Small Business Loans
- Hampton Roads Franchise Portal
- StartWheel – Growing, Guiding and Connecting Entrepreneurs
- Virginia Business One Stop
- Virginia Guide to Establishing a Business
- Virginia Guide to Business Incentives
- Virginia Dept. of Small Business and Supplier Diversity
- Virginia Small Business Financing Authority
- Selling to Virginia – Virginia’s eProcurement Portal
- Federal, State and Local Business Incentives in Isle of Wight
Local Business Membership Groups:
- Isle of Wight Chamber of Commerce
- Isle Connect – Chamber Young Professional Network
- Business Network International (BNI) – Isle of Wight Chapter
CONTACT US now for assistance.